Tuesday 12 May 2015

Craft - tilespiration

Sorry for the made up word in the title. I think I must have a bit of an obsession with tiles. I can't resist taking pictures of them wherever I am, which often seems to be in toilets, ( have you seen the stunning tiles in the V & A restaurant toilets?) and also includes a series of about 50 photos of benches all tiled differently, which I photographed in Spain last year.  I think it's a combination of vivid colours, shiny glaze and beautifully ordered symmetry.  I also used to love the Altair colouring books when I was younger - I'm sure it's all connected. I'm thinking I might be able to use all my tile photos as inspiration - for quilting? printing? Who know, but I'm sure they'll serve a purpose one day.



These lovely tiles were (predictably) in a toilet in a very nice little restaurant in London (Honey & Co.) which I visited recently.  The food AND the tiles made the visit very worthwhile.

6 comments:

  1. Not at all strange - I took a photo of the ladies' loos in a museum in Bournemouth once because I was so impressed with the loos! (http://read-sew-crochet.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/beach-huts-bournemouth-and-bloody-romans.html) Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've been there! And I'm sure I took a photo of those toilets too - but it would have been on my old phone and all the photos died with it :( - a good excuse to go back though!

      Delete
  2. You need to come to Liverpool. The toilets in the Philharmonic pub (not the concert hall, mind you) are to die for. Ab Fab!

    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186337-d2098055-i53064118-The_Philharmonic_Dining_Rooms-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant toilets - I feel a 'tiles in toilets' blogging sub-genre might be about to emerge, which would require extensive travel to lots of amazingly tiled toilets!

      Delete
  3. I can understand the obsession. With me, it's doors. (I'm a bit OCD about public toilets so don't tend to linger long enough to notice the tiles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only linger when there's no-one else around! Glad to see other people have equally 'interesting' obsessions.

      Delete

I'm not sure if anyone reads this. But if you do, and you'd like to comment, I'd get very excited. And would try to reply. Thanks!